Thursday, May 27, 2010

Its gone...

I was ever so saddened this morning when I read an article reporting on Willie Nelson....HE CUT HIS HAIR OFF!! If you know me very well then you know my love for Willie Nelson. He hung the moon as far as I'm concerned. I know this sound cheesy and slightly obsessive but I will explain later.


Its horrible.
  • The sound of his voice alone will drive me to tears. Seriously.
  • I know most every song he ever recorded
  • I collect Willie Nelson concert t-shirts and intend to make a quilt out of them someday.
  • I have been to over a dozen of his concerts.
  • He makes my heart melt at the sound of his distinctive guitar.
  • And I loved (until today) his red pigtails.


The reason I feel so strongly about a man whom I will probably never meet, never carry on a conversation, or never get to know personally is this:

As a child growing up we went on family vacations a lot. And on those vacations we would listen to music while on the road.  My dad had a tape case with music that we only listened to on road trips. The music library (mind you this was in the 80s and early 90s) was Dolly Parton, Jim Croce, Johnny cash, and Willie Nelson to name a few. I was raised on this music with a little Jerry Clower mixed in.  When I was 16 the opportunity arose to go see Willie in concert. My dad and I went to a bar, an actual bar where you have to be at least 18 to get in, and some how he got me past the door man and into Lonsome Dove.  That night is forever etched into my mind as one of my favorite times with my dad.  We had so much fun and at the end of Willie's set I was able to be down by the stage and he touched my hand.  I was thrilled....My love for Willie began.

Willie Nelson and my dad is something that goes hand in hand. I have always been a daddy's girl and Willie is something that deeply reminds me of good times with dad. He also somewhat resembles him too.  Dad has a "worn" look about him...deep creases on his face show years of hard work....as does Willie. Only I think his worn look is due to years of honky tonks and booze, which my dad has seen his fare share of.  I think that is why I get sooo emotional when I hear Willie's music.  I deeply love my dad and Willie Nelson brings up those feelings that I have for him through his music.


0 comments: